Private chat is where you invite another user to chat with you. Like Public chat anything written in a private session is recorded and fully discoverable so be mindful of what you write.
A point of difference with Public chat is you do have to join an incident to use Private chat.
You can invite an individual or a number of users to chat. See How do I invite more people to a Private Chat?
To invite an individual to a Private chat, you will need to do the following:
1. Click on Click for Side Panel to open the far right pane
2. This will open the Active Users tab. This is a list of all of users currently logged into EM-COP.
If you do not see any chat icons try resizing the Active Users tab. Position your cursor over the left edge of the tab press your left mouse button and drag it to the left.
You will see most users have a Chat icon against their name. YOU won't have an icon against your name and neither will Read Only users. For more information go to Why can't I see a Chat icon against an active user?
3. Click on next to the user you want to invite to a Private chat.
4. This will open a window on your Map View and will pop an invitation message up on the other person's Map View.
5. Once they click Yes you see a message pop up in your Private chat window, and the person invited will see a slightly different message.
6. Enter your text into the bottom field or window then hit ENTER.
A message will appear in the chat window telling you someone has left the chat. You leave a Private chat by simply clicking the X in the top right corner of chat window.
You can also chat with multiple participants. For more information see How do I invite more people to a Private Chat?