This article describes how to find emails in the desktop client version of Outlook. This version uses a search box to allow simple text searching and also allows advanced searches by keywords across the from: address, to: address, subject and body of the email, date ranges and whether the email has attachments.
The search box is located at the top of the email list in the main window.
The Search box allows you to enter search parameters to find matching emails. Search parameters can be just simple text or can include search keywords to specify where to look in the email.
Click in the Search box to enter the desired search text.
The search below has found emails with "request" within the text of the email - within the subject and body fields. This will also match text in the from and to fields.
You can construct searches across multiple fields using search keywords.
- subject:state - subject must contain "state"
- from:@scc - email must have come from an address containing "@scc"
- to:@icc - email must have been sent to an address containing "@icc"
- cc:@icc - email must have been sent to an address containing "@icc"
- before:23/01/2019 - email must have been sent or received on or before 23/01/2019
- after:20/01/2019 - email must have been sent or received on or after 23/01/2019
- date:20/012019..23/01/2019 - email must have been sent or received between 20-23/01/2019
- folder:archive - search in the "archive" folder
- hasattachment:true or
has:attachment - email must have an attachment
- hasattachment:false - email must not have an attachment.
These can also be combined using the operators AND OR NOT (entered in uppercase). If an operator is omitted, AND is assumed.
- subject:(state) OR media - either subject contains "state" or email contains "media" (or both)
- from:(@scc) has:attachment - email from address contains "@scc" and has an attachment
- to:(@icc) NOT weather - email to address contains "@icc and doesn't contain weather
The order of evaluation can be set by using parentheses ( ) around the components of the search.