Process to select recipients for email notifications
Check distribution list that is relevant to the region you are issuing the community notification for. Contacts on the distribution lists will receive an email of the notification. This field is mandatory.
Send SMS Notification
Underneath the recipient list is the option to 'Send SMS Notification as well as the email'. Selecting this option will send an SMS prompting people to check their emails. If you select this option it will send an SMS to contacts on the recipient lists (where we have their phone numbers). You can find information on sending an SMS to emergency broadcasters here.
The distribution lists are based upon Victorian Emergency Management Boundaries.
- Distribution lists are made up of EMT members, local council and media contacts.
- The Statewide Distribution list MUST be selected. The Statewide Distribution list has contacts relevant for every emergency including ABC, Nurse On Call and the VicEmergency Hotline.
- There are distribution lists for South Australia and New South Wales if you are issuing a Community Notification near the Victorian border.
If you are not sure which regional distribution list is relevant you can turn on the Victorian Emergency Management Boundaries.
Turn on boundaries
- Select the Data button found on the top right hand bar.
- From the drop down choose >Boundaries
- Select the relevant boundary. Under Emergency Services you will find the Victorian Emergency Management Regions.
- With the boundary layers turned on you should be able to identify which distribution list to use.