This article gives general information for connecting an EM-Webmail account to an Outlook client on a PC Desktop. The article also references specific advice for PCs in Control Centres.
Use of EM-Webmail on a locally installed Outlook desktop client was not previously supported.
EM-Webmail in Office 365 can be configured to use a local Outlook client but there are some restrictions.
The Outlook 2010 client does not support login codes. Microsoft will allow Outlook 2010 clients to be configured using a special app password.
Most Control Centres still have only Outlook 2010 installed so if multiple PCs are to be used simultaneously, each PC requires a unique app password. More information is available here.
Outlook 2016 and above support login codes allowing multiple clients to be configured on the same mailbox.
The State Control Centre has PCs with Outlook 2016 installed on Windows 10. More information for connecting SCC PCs is available here.
General information for configuring Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016+ clients is shown below.
Configuring an Outlook 2010 client
- Open the Outlook 2010 client and select File from the main menu
- On the Account Information page, click Add account.
- Follow the prompts to add an Outlook Exchange account.
- When asked for the password, you will need to enter a special app password.
Please Submit a ticket to EM-COP Support with the email account to get this password.
Please note that only an Outlook 2010 client in an agency facility can be connected in this way.
Configuring an Outlook 2016 or above client
- Open the Outlook 2016 client and select File from the main menu
- On the Account Information page, click the + Add account button (top left of main pane).
- Enter the EM-Webmail email address
then click Connect.
- Outlook will retrieve the mailbox settings. This may take a minute or two.
- Enter the password from the EM-Webmail Login Code generator
and click Sign in.
- Enter the login code
and click Verify.
- Outlook will connect to the mailbox. You may be asked to allow the mailbox settings to be managed by your organisation. You should click Allow. This will make it simpler to add further accounts.
- Outlook will confirm the connection is successful.
Click Done to complete the setup
- You may see the screen below.
The mail setup is now complete.
Please Note: The login code you entered will last for 7 days. After that, you should be prompted to enter a new code. If the mail hasn't been accessed for a while and the most recent item is more than 7 days old, close the Outlook client and restart it. If a new code is required you will see a prompt to enter the password and current login code.